Slips, trips, and falls account for a great majority of injuries that happen in the workplace. Shoes For Crews created the slip-resistant outsole in 1984 specifically to combat these potential threats and has continued to innovate and push forward with many products designed to keep you safe and your employer free from spending money that could be more productively used than on preventable falling accidents.
The problem some have, however, is realizing that there are many options in slip-resistant safety footwear and that the incredible variety of products can be overwhelming.
Worry not, reader! Shoes For Crews has your back, because we recognize that choosing the best slip-resistant shoes for your job is crucial to ensure your safety and prevent workplace accidents.
Here's our guide to help you make an informed decision on How to pick the best slip-resistant shoe or boot for the job you have:
Understand Your Work Environment:
- Consider the surfaces you will be working on. Different work environments, such as kitchens, hospitals, or industrial settings, have varying slip hazards.
- Identify common risks like water, grease, oil, or uneven surfaces that might contribute to slip accidents.
Know Your Job Duties:
- Evaluate your daily tasks. If your job involves lifting, climbing, or operating machinery, you may need additional safety features beyond slip resistance.
- Consider the level of comfort required for long hours on your feet.
Check Industry Standards:
- Some professions have specific safety requirements for footwear. Be aware of industry standards and regulations, primarily if you work in healthcare, food service, or other regulated fields.
Look for Certification:
- Choose shoes that meet or exceed safety standards. Look for certifications indicating slip resistance and other safety features. This information is often available in the product specifications.
Review Product Specifications:
- Read detailed product descriptions to understand the specific features of the slip-resistant shoes you are considering.
- Look for information about the outsole material, tread pattern, and additional safety features, such as toe protection or electrostatic and electrical hazard resistance.
- Comfort is essential, especially if you spend extended periods on your feet. Look for shoes with adequate arch support, cushioning, and breathable materials.
- Ensure the shoes are the right size to prevent discomfort and potential foot issues.
Evaluate Traction Technology:
- Different brands may use various technologies to enhance traction. Look for features like multi-directional treads, slip-resistant compounds, and grooves designed to channel liquids away from the sole. The ease of cleaning your outsoles is another essential factor to consider at jobs with heavy amounts of matter on the floor that could get stuck between the treads.
Choose the Right Style:
- Slip-resistant shoes come in various styles, including sneakers, boots, and clogs. Select a style that suits your job requirements and personal preferences.
- Some workplaces may have specific dress code requirements, so ensure your chosen style aligns with those standards. Most companies in Shoes For Crews’ Corporate Safety Footwear Programs have websites specifically for their company that only sells shoes they approve of. If your workplace is a part of an SFC Corporate Safety Footwear Program, please check with the leadership team at your job to see if this is an option or not for you.
Customer reviews can assist your ability to gain insights into the real-world performance of the slip-resistant shoes you are considering. Look for feedback on comfort, durability, and overall satisfaction.
While safety is a priority, consider your budget. Fortunately, Shoes For Crews offers quality slip-resistant footwear at various price points to fit any budget.
By carefully considering these factors, you can choose slip-resistant shoes that not only meet the safety requirements of your job but also provide the comfort and durability needed for long-term wear.
Shoes For Crews offers a variety of options tailored to different industries, making it easier to find the perfect fit for your specific work environment. Explore the entire range of Shoes For Crews’ slip-resistant products and search by occupation, fit, different exterior and interior materials, and more at ShoesForCrews.com.